The name Steve Harvey is synonymous with comedy and being one of the best Show Host in the United States of America. Steve Harvey has woven his way into being a household brand in the world today. The Family Feud Game show host has captured the hearts through his animated style in during each show: participants laughing, audience being engaged and even the viewers at home feel they are a part of the show. His charismatic personality made him popular and admirable.
Perfect situation turns sour
Approximately 6.2 million viewers from around the world tuned in to watch the 2015 Miss Universe Pageant program. Throughout the program, Steve Harvey hosting skills were seemingly flawless until that moment-Grand Coronation of the winner of Miss Universe. He mistakenly announced Ms. Colombia as the winner of the pageant instead of Ms. Phillippines.
Lessons learn from Steve Harvey’s ordeal
- Quickly take control of the situation: Steve Harvey realized he made a huge blunder, publicly apologized for the error he made (unassisted from his Producers).
- Accept your limitation-Steve Harvey showed the world that he was ‘human’ and vulnerable as any other brand. His admittance brings to the fore that brands do make mistakes and there is no ‘superhuman’ complex.
- Personal apology: He made a very personal apology to both the contestants. He was aware of the damage cause and showed a personal side by connecting with the women who were affected by his grave error.
- Public Consultation- He held a press conference after the show to issue another publication and provided clarity on the incident that occurred. He also facilitated questions from many Journalists about the grave ordeal and remained calm throughout the pressure.
- Won public sympathy- Although a huge uproar,memes and verbal attacks on Twitter and other social media sites ensued, it was quickly waned as a result of public support for Steve Harvey.
- When doing big events, hire an expert. Eric Thomas lamented the lack of professionalism used during the event- the card with the winners. He recommended redesigning of the card would have averted such controversy.